Ask any meeting planner what some of their biggest challenges are and at the top of their list will probably be trying to balance the many roles and expertise they must possess. For some, planning meetings isn’t their only job responsibility, so it’s no wonder they can feel overwhelmed trying to pull off a successful meeting.
Scott Wunn, the Executive Director with the National Speech and Debate Association expressed it perfectly. We asked him what his most challenging aspect of his role is and he responded, “Balancing the multitude of demands on a daily basis. Many people assume you are an expert in every aspect of the position.”
When planners hold a meeting in a new destination, or even one they’ve been in before, they simply cannot know everything happening in the city that might affect their meeting. They don’t have the time to do the research given all the other demands on their time, but that’s where the convention & visitors bureau (CVB) can help. The sales professionals at the CVB are a meeting planner’s time saver. They are destination experts and are there to help save planner’s precious time and best of all, it’s free to planners.
5 Ways CVBs Help Meeting Planners Balance the Demands of Their Meeting!
- Save time in collecting hotel Requests for Proposals (RFPs). It’s all about saving time right? The CVB sales professional is there to help planners with:
- Tweaking your RFP to be destination specific.
- Distributing your RFP to the hotels under consideration, and following up with them to ensure a timely and competitive response.
- Lobbying to the hotels on the planners behalf.
- Intercepting hotel questions and collecting responses.
- Collecting and aggregating hotel responses.
- Put you in touch with resources in their destination. The professionals at the CVB are destination experts. They know their destination better than anyone. Need a last minute florist or a venue for an offsite event, your CVB destination expert has the answer.
- Educate you on what’s happening in the destination and if it may affect your event. Instead of spending endless time searching on the Internet as to what else may be happening in the destination, ask your CVB destination expert. They can tell you not only what is happening in their destination during the time of your event, they can also help determine if and how your event might be affected.
- Assist with site inspections. Let your CVB sales professional take care of the details. By working with your CVB destination expert, you can rest assured, that your time in their destination will be well spent.
- Assist in problem solving and troubleshooting when circumstances arise and changes need to be made. The CVB is there for you throughout the life of your event. For example, if a situation arises where your event has outgrown the hotel you’ve been in before, the CVB sales professional can find the right fit for your meeting. Or, if something last minute happens, they have the connections to help you solve even the most challenging situations.
To get in touch with a CVB destination expert in over 150 cities, visit www.empowerMINT.com.