The one thing we can say about social media, is that it is constantly evolving. It is quickly becoming one of the most important tools a planner can use to interact with attendees, release information, and to stay engaged throughout the year. As new technologies, insights, and software are constantly being developed, we’ve created a list of some social media and technology trends meeting and event planners can keep in mind while crafting their overall meeting strategy.
- Real-time engagement: Social media thrives on real-time engagement, and now more than ever users expect a response – quickly. Meeting planners will want to be sure they have the resources available to respond to their attendees during planning as well as throughout the event.
- Live-streaming video: Quick response times aren’t the only thing planners need to focus on. Live streaming video is widely considered to be the next platform meeting planners will want to understand, thanks to apps like Periscope and Meerkat.
- Mobile is a must: Mobile devices have become the primary screen for most social media users. As of January 2015, 80% of internet users owned a smartphone. Be sure your website and any other supporting digital platforms are mobile friendly.
- Data-driven decisions: It’s no longer enough to just have social media accounts. In order to reach your target market when promoting an event, planners need to understand the attendee and refine their strategy so that they can hone in on their connections.
- Data breaches: Data breaches aren’t limited to big-box stores. Hackers will eventually target some events via online registration or apps. As a planner, be sure your registration company is PCI compliant and take other necessary steps to ensure your attendee information is guarded.
- Drones: Days of the tripod mounted cameras filming your event may become a thing of the past. With the increase in popularity of drones, meeting planners are beginning to consider utilizing drones to provide a unique perspective of their event.
- Apps: With the popularity of mobile devices, more and more planners are utilizing apps for their events. With the ability to update information immediately, no wonder they are quickly replacing printed event programs.
Partnering With Destination Experts
While utilizing the latest in social media and event technology is wonderful, attendees ultimately crave an authentic and unique meeting experience. A meeting experience where they can grow and learn professionally as well as get a real feel for the destination they are visiting, and there is no better partner in the planning of your meeting than the convention & visitors bureau (CVB) destination consultant.
Beyond the services planners have come to expect from CVBs (attendance promotion, public relations, on-site services, etc.), CVB consultants are destination experts with a wealth of knowledge and are a meeting planner’s best ally in creating memorable meeting experiences for attendees. CVBs can help you hone your social media strategy and find the right resources in the destination to promote your meeting.
From what’s happening in the destination, providing innovative event ideas or tips on unique venues, the destination experts at the CVB have planners covered. No organization has stronger connections and better destination knowledge than the CVB. To reach out to CVB destination experts at more than 150 top meeting destinations, visit empowerMINT.com.