Savvy meeting planners know that Convention & Visitors Bureaus (CVBs) are a great resource to help in distributing RFP’s, site inspections and attendee promotion. However, as destination experts, CVBs exist to ensure that your event is as close to perfect as possible. This is why their services don’t begin and end after an RFP has been distributed.
Generally, the services CVBs provide fall into one of the following areas:
- Services provided up to the time that you contract with the chosen property (such as education about the destination, lead distribution, and site inspections), and;
- Post-contract services (such as off-site venue selection support, attendance promotion, and on-site services).
Today, we are highlighting four not-so-obvious ways CVBs can help make your meeting a success. These services really help to ensure your next meeting or event is the success that it should be.
- Unique Destination Demand Factors: Did you know that every destination has its own unique destination demand factors? Between different seasons, major events or just usual business travel, it’s hard to know how your event will be impacted. The CVB sales professionals are destination experts and know how your event could be impacted by seasonality, special events happening in their city, if large citywide conventions are happening at the time of your meeting, and the transient vs. group demand mix.
- Leveraging In-Market Relationships: The CVB has spent many years developing relationships within their community; they understand how each business, government department, and venue works. As a meeting planner advocate, the CVB is able to educate the community on your meeting’s value and is there to pull together the right decision makers, explain the importance of these actions, and get things done.
- What’s Happening in the Destination: There are major local events destinations are known for in every city. These events can be anything from a large music festival to small (only the locals know about) fairs. Events can be a fantastic way to connect the pulse of the city with your attendees. The CVB sales professional will have the inside track on what local events are happening in and around your meeting. As destination experts, the CVB will not only help you discover these events and how best to incorporate them into your meeting, but they may also be able to help you gain access you might not normally get.
- Connecting Planners to the Destination’s Intellectual Capital. Intellectual capital is the knowledge, expertise, and innovation asset of the business community. Knowledge assets can include everything from museums, libraries and universities to the educational and medical communities. With the help of the destination experts at the CVB, these amazing assets can become available to planners and their meeting. By pulling these types of assets into your meeting, you are greatly enhancing the overall meeting experience for attendees.
To find a CVB sales professional in one of the top 150+ meeting destinations, visit www.empowerMINT.com.