Given the importance everyone attaches to Return on Investment (ROI) these days, it is puzzling as to why more people in the meetings’ industry do not use the APEX Post-Event Report (PER). The PER is one component of the APEX Initiative, created by the Convention Industry Council in an effort to standardize the forms and tools suppliers and planners use in their everyday business. For years, planners created various forms and reports to manage their events, only to have them returned by our supplier partners in other formats – all driven by the types of software we use.
Many of us get so involved in the planning of the event, that we overlook or under value the significance of the PER. At the end of an event, we are tired and look forward to the next event(s) we are responsible for instead of to the immediate past. Depending on the size of one’s event, the PER can be many pages or just a few. Properly used, the PER provides a complete historical perspective of recurring events.
The APEX Initiative and its tools and forms help all of us to demonstrate our professionalism and expertise.
To effectively use the PER, the planner should:
- Complete required fields within the PER
- Use the PER for events large and small
- Complete the report in conjunction with the event’s suppliers within 60 days’ of the close of the event.
- File the report with each venue or facility used for the event, retaining a copy in the planner’s files
- Take the time to complete the “Comments” section which may not fit into one of the standard sections of the PER but which can provide information for future events
By using the PER, the planner can:
- More effectively calculate the event’s ROI
- Analyze numbers and conduct valuable research, enabling the planner to assume a better negotiation position for future events
- Increase personal credibility as the planner moves up the career ladder
So, what are you waiting for? Take advantage of the PER today. Your future could depend on it!
To access the PER templates, available in both MS Word and PDF formats, visit the CIC’s website at http://www.eventscouncil.org/APEX/AdditionalResources.aspx.