Welcome! This is Shimo….and I’m Terri Roberts…and we’re from Destination Marketing Association International (DMAI). For those of you who may not be familiar, DMAI is the trade association for destination marketing organizations, often referred to in the meetings industry as convention & visitors bureaus or CVBs.
The genesis of this podcast comes from several years of industry experience and perspectives from all the terrific relationships we’ve made along the way. We’ve known each other since those early days with Marriott Hotels & Resorts and we not only have hotel experience but we have also worked for the CVB and CC in San Diego so we have had the great pleasure of experiencing the whole industry madness first hand.
Planners are challenged to keep up with meeting trends/research and build attendance, all the while attracting a younger and growing generation of attendees to their meeting and events.
This episode will address creating unique meeting experiences and direct you to resources and solutions that will help you plan engaging meetings and uncover ways to attract younger participants.
- Why are experiences important (in general) and what is essential to creating a meeting experience (Jim Gilmore/Experience Economy)
- What Are Millennials Looking For In Meeting Experiences (PCMA Foundation White Paper)
- How Can Your DMO/CVB Help You Find and Incorporate Engaging Experiences That Are Destination Specific (blog.empoweMINT.com)
Resources & Links:
- Jim Gilmore/Joe Pine Book : “The Experience Economy and Authenticity”, Updated Edition July, 2011
- What The Millennial Generation Prefers in their Meetings, Conventions and Events (PCMA White Paper)
- 10 Tips for Adding Local Destination Flavor to your Meeting (blog.empowermint.com)