Welcome! This is Shimo….and I’m Terri Roberts…and we’re from Destination Marketing Association International (DMAI). For those of you who may not be familiar, DMAI is the trade association for destination marketing organizations, often referred to in the meetings industry as convention & visitors bureaus or CVBs.
As a meeting planner, you have a lot of decisions to make when planning an event, including picking the appropriate hotel and meetings venue, selecting the right food and beverage offerings, hiring the best speakers and sourcing good transportation services. But none of that can be put into place until you’ve chosen the right destination for your meeting. And with so many great cities to pick from, finding the right destination to suit your group can seem like quite a daunting task. But it doesn’t have to be! By keeping some key things in mind and asking yourself the following questions, finding the right city for your meeting might just get a whole lot easier – and be more fun!
In this episode, we will be talking about what goes into selecting a destination for your meeting, how to keep up with what’s new in destinations, AND how to create that oh- so-small conference feel when your attendance is growing!
- Interview with Annette Gregg, CMP, CMM, Vice-President, Client Experiences-Conferences, LPL Financial
- “10 Considerations for Selecting the Perfect Destination for Your Meeting” ( empowermint Blog article)
- “10 Trends Changing Meeting Venues” by Martha C. White (BizBash.com article)
- Make Space: How To Set the Stage for Creative Collaboration, Scott Doorley, Scott Witthoft (Book)
- Make Space-Book Excerpt : From the Chapter-TED: The Environment Designed by Frank Graziano (Frank Graziano is principal researcher at Steelcase. His research and designs focus on emergent patterns and trends in human interactions.
Resources & Links:
- Considerations for Selecting a Destination
2. How to Keep Up with “What’s New” in a Destination
- Online Meeting Planning Tool : www.empowerMINT.com
3. Suggestions for Keeping a Conference Feeling Small as it Grows
- Article : “10 Trends Changing Meeting Venues”
- Article : “Make Space: How to Set the Stage for Creative Collaboration”
- Book : Make Space : How to Set The Stage for Creative Collaboration, Scott Doorley & Scott Witthoft
If you have a chance, please leave us an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes immensely! We appreciate it! Enjoy the show!